Fairmont Foods, Incorporated, originally known as Fairmont Creamery Company, started construction of its creamery in Moorhead, Minnesota in 1923, completing and opening the plant in May 1924. At the time this was the biggest creamery in the area. The creamery in Moorhead was part of the nation-wide network of creameries and buying stations started by Fairmont. The Moorhead plant was involved in poultry processing, butter making, and buying cream and milk. J.H. Deems was the plant superintendent from the opening until 1952. He was succeeded by Paul R. Dew, who was replaced in December 1952 by J.D. Heckart. In 1976 Heckart retired and Larry Groves became the last manager. The plant was closed in October 1980 because Fairmont Foods was divesting itself of its creamery operations in order to concentrate on its convenience stores. Cass-Clay Creamery bought the creamery building but sold it to the Anderson-Jordahl Development Company. On February 1, 1982 that firm began the renovations needed to change the old creamery into a senior citizens housing project. This involved the razing of much of the existing structure. There was a move at this time, partly instigated by Anderson-Jordahl for tax purposes, to have the building placed on the national Register of Historical Properties.
This collection contains the correspondence, news articles, financial information, internal records, and miscellaneous papers and items of the Fairmont Foods Creamery. Also included is information about the embezzlement scandal at Richter Grocery of Perham, Minnesota.