Key & Card Access

  • MSU Moorhead has card readers installed on all exterior doors for academic buildings. ID cards with an encoded number have been issued to campus personnel and students. Individuals will be electronically granted access to buildings by request through Public Safety Key and Card Access.


    Permission to have access to a university space must be requested via the online form. Requests for extension of access deadlines may also be submitted through the online form.

    Who shall give permission for:

    • Faculty – The department dean, director, chair or designee must request permissions for the key(s) that are to be administered and/or card access allowed into room, and/or through the outer doors of buildings.
    • Staff – The department dean, director, chair, supervisor or their designee must request permission for departmental staff. If you do not work with a department chair or administrative assistant, key and card access permissions will be accepted from the following persons:
      • University president
      • Vice presidents
      • Biosciences or Chemistry department chair (for labs)
      • Radiation safety officer (for Biochemistry and Chemistry biohazard labs)
    • Students – Faculty and staff should submit their requests via online form to the department authorized access approver, who will forward the approved requests to the Key and Card Access Office. Class lists in Excel or similar format, signed by the instructor and approved by the department chair are accepted in email form.
    • Vendors or Contractors – All keys or card access issued to vendors or contractors will be cleared through the Physical Plant manager, director, chief engineer of the Heating Plant, director of the Student Union, or vice president of Finance and Administration (respective to each individual’s purview). Key access for the residence halls must be cleared through the director of housing or their designee and obtained at the Housing Office.


    Key and card access shall be issued for the shortest amount of time, as deemed necessary by the department dean, director, chair or designee.

    All keys and access devices must be signed for and picked up by the person receiving them. Access devices can be picked up at the Public Safety building at any time.

    Failure to return keys or other access devices will require a late/lost fee of $30 per device to MSUM. Access devices will not be issued until outstanding fines have been paid. Key fines may be appealed through the online form.

    Call 218.477.2925 or email with any questions.