Unfortunately there is not much specific information on Richard Herring regarding birth dates etc., but it is known that he migrated from England with the Yeoville Colony in 1873 and they settled by Hawley and Glyndon, Minnesota. He opened a store in Lake Park, Minnesota and by 1890 he had opened a store in Hitterdal, Minnesota. This store sold a variety of items such as clothing, hardware, groceries, and meat. He and his brother, Bill, at times owned and operated a creamery, pharmacy, and several small farms. They also held the electric light concession from Twin Valley to Hitterdal. The brothers had a beautiful flower garden in Hitterdal proper which attracted many people during the early 20th century.
The Richard J. Herring collection is arranged topically and chronologically. The collection consists of accounts, some correspondence, and legal and financial records of Herring’s business adventures.