The Unitarian Church of Underwood, Otter Tail County, Minnesota, was founded in 1889 by Kristofer Janson, a Norwegian author and reformer, who immigrated to the United States in 1881. Mr. Janson became a Unitarian missionary to the Scandinavians in the Midwest. He also established Unitarian congregations in Minneapolis, St. Paul, Hanska, all in Minnesota, and also in Hudson, Wisconsin. The Underwood Church immediately affiliated with the American Unitarian Association, Boston, Massachusetts. It was known as the Free Christian Church until 1965, when the congregation changed the name to the Unitarian Church of Underwood.
Church services were originally held in a building called the Union Hall. The congregation purchased this building in 1892 and continues to use it.
The collection consists of two reels of microfilm. The secretary’s record books contain lists of trustees or directors in addition to minutes and reports. Many of the reports are in Norwegian