The Clay County Chapter of the American Red Cross was organized in 1917 with its headquarters in Moorhead, Minnesota. This organization, which entailed two basic objectives, was established for humanitarian purposes. The first of these objectives was to provide relief to those in need resulting from natural disasters such as flood and fire.
The second objective consisted of providing assistance to servicemen and their families at home. During WWI, the Red Cross provided reception centers for servicemen traveling through the area at local train stations in Moorhead and Dilworth, Minnesota. This service continued during WWII and the Korean War as well. During the post-war period, other services, such as blood drives, nursing programs, and water safety programs, were started and they still exist today as an aid to the community.
In 1957, for economic and political reasons, the Clay County Chapter merged with the Cass County Chapter, which was also established in 1917 in Fargo, North Dakota, and became the Minn-Kota Chapter. This chapter celebrated its 60th anniversary in 1977.
The Clay County Red Cross Collection is arranged topically and chronologically. The collection consists of certifications, correspondence, a financial ledger, minutes of board meetings, newspaper clippings, photographs, public relations material, and various miscellaneous materials. These items deal with the various assistance programs the Red Cross has provided for the Clay County area.
NOTE: Any materials dated after 1957 deal with the Cass County Chapter of the Red Cross.