This microfilm edition contains the records of the Church of St. John the Divine, Moorhead, Clay County, Minnesota. The congregation began holding services in Moorhead in 1872. Bishop Henry B. Whipple conducted the first confirmation service in December 1873. In 1875, St. John’s was officially organized and recognized as a parish by the governing body of the Protestant Episcopal Diocese of Minnesota. Initially services were held in a Northern Pacific Railway coach. Prior to the construction of St. John’s in 1898, services were held in other facilities. The structure was designed by the prominent American architect, Cass Gilbert, and in 1967 the church was named a historic site in the state of Minnesota. The parish registers of the congregation are of particular interest, because causes of death are included in the burial or funeral sections of the volumes. Included in the collection is a short history written by B.F. Mackall, the founder, first lay reader and a charter member of the Episcopal Church located in Moorhead.
A service record book, 1902-1919; 1932, is included in a separate microfilm edition, entitled, “Protestant Episcopal Churches in Minnesota – Northwest and West Central.” This publication is available at the Minnesota Historical Society and the Northwest Minnesota Historical Center.