The Schroeder potato business began with Henry Schroeder (1855-1928), a German immigrant. Henry Schroeder settled a homestead near Sabin Township, in Clay County, in 1878. He began growing potatoes in the early 1890s. Of Henry Schroeder’s sons, Edward (1880-1971) began a successful cattle breeding business while Ernest (1890-1978) continued to develop the potato agriculture. From the 1930s, Ernest Schroeder’s farm produced quality table stock and wash potatoes, later switching to seed potatoes and chipping potatoes. In 1965, Ernest’s son, Robert, joined him in the farm business. The Schroeders were member of several agricultural organizations, including the Red River Valley Potato Shippers Association. They also maintained detailed records concerning their business.
The collection consists of records of the various parts of the Schroeder’s farming operations, including files on cattle breeding, potato and grain agriculture, and subsidiary operations. Also in the collection are contracts, government publications and reports, ledgers, tax records, and records concerning the agricultural and other organizations to which the Schroeders belonged. Some biographical clippings and personal correspondence are also included in the collection. Restrictions apply to some materials. All materials are in excellent condition.