More Information.
More details.Hide details.

International Student Services

  • Print
  • Economic Hardship

    Economic hardship option can be applied to international F-1 students who are experiencing severe financial hardship while studying the U.S. These students may be able to obtain off-campus employment authorization from United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) under certain conditions.

    The authorization will help students with difficult situations by working a few hours off campus to boost the students' income enough to meet the expenses of students living in the US. Economic hardship employment authorizations will not able students to fund their entire expenses in the U.S. which is required to maintain F-1 student status. This should not be considered as a solution for serious financial difficulties. Students should also know that once economic hardship is approved, the 2nd page of your I-20 will be endorsed with economic hardship employment authorization. If you need to return home and obtain a new F-1 visa, this may play a role in renewing your F-1 visa while on economic difficulties. 


    • Student must be currently enrolled full-time and have been in valid F-1 status and in good academic standing for at least one full academic year at the institution you are currently enrolled. If you are transferring from another U.S. institution, you must continue a full academic year at the new institution to qualify for economic hardship through the new institution
    • Student must be able to document circumstances which led to the economic situation were unexpected and beyond control
    • Student must be capable of continuing studies and maintain f-1 status while engaged in economic hardship work permission.
    • Working hours are the same as listed under employment - 20 hours a week while school is in session.

    In order for you to apply for off campus work authorization, please review the following document: Economic Hardship Employment Authorization Process.